Summer Sale starts today

Just a quick note for my more bookish South African blog readers. The big Exclusive Books Summer Sale starts today (Friday, 30 January) at 7am at branches across the country.


As always it's very much a lucky dip to find something worthwhile amidst the piles of junk, but the savings really are outstanding when you do find that little piece of literary and non-fiction treasure.

As an added bonus, this year Exclusive Books is throwing in a freebie for the big buyers. For each 10 Sale books you purchase you can choose an 11th Sale book (up to the value of the most expensive of the 10) absolutely FREE!

I'm dramatically trying to cut my expenditure on entertainment goodies like DVDs, games and books this year, but I've accumulated some vouchers so I'll definitely be checking out the sale this weekend.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Its no wonder many South Africans don't read - there's no incentive to buy books (especially at the books in SA cost more than the stated price on the cover, even considering the bad exchange rate).

In the UK the sales are on all the time in the books shops and its buy 2, get the 3rd free. I can't remember the last time I paid full price for a book
Pfangirl said…
Anonymous, you're right. As in many other areas, when it comes to books in South Africa we are shafted. It's almost as if being a "reader" is a status thing here because of the costs it involves.

Over 90% of my book purchases are done online, as they are drastically cheaper than in-store.

As for sales in the UK, I know what you mean. During a trip there last year I was pleasantly surprised to find celebrity cook books on special for R140 - when they never drop below R400 at home, and certainly never make it onto the sale table.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!