Today South Africa, brace yourself for maximum Payne!

Well, I'm off this evening to see video-game-to-movie-adaptation Max Payne. And I'm actually quite nervous... Not quite at the anxiety level I reached on the day Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was released, but worried nonetheless. You see I'm really hoping that Hollywood hasn't stuffed up a film based on easily one of my top 5 favourite video games of all time.


Although Max Payne went to #1 in North America this last weekend, reviews have not been kind for this noir-ish action-thriller. With 19% on Rotten Tomatoes, not kind at all. So I'll be entering the cinema tonight with very moderated expectations.

As far as I'm concerned, and I'm probably in the minority here, the best game adaptation so far has been Silent Hill. Some of you may argue the case for the Resident Evil series, or Doom, but for me Silent Hill, however flawed, really captured the feel of the video game better than anything else.

Of course, I'm now hoping that 2010's Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time will finally be the game adaptation that gets it ALL right.

Anyway, speaking of gaming, I did have one big "WFT?" moment this week... and it's over this game:


LEGO Batman: The Video Game, for PC, is being priced at between R376 and R385! R380 for a PC game? And not just any PC game - it's a frickin' kiddie-friendly/casual gamer Lego video game! Even the PS2 version is cheaper, at R300-R330. I knew prices were going up across all platforms, but give me a break!

This is a pity because I was really looking forward to LEGO Batman. However, at that price they can forget it (BTW, I also feel really sorry for PS3 and 360 owners keen for the game). I'll do what I've just done with Bioshock and wait for its eventual emergence in the bargain bin.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bloody hell, that is a lot of cash for a PC game! This dollar exchange rate thing is going to hit us consumers of overseas goods hard! :(
Pfangirl said…
Yes. It's very depressing, especially as it's now approaching the time of year I start doing most of my Christmas shopping online from overseas. Ho hum.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!