Sam & Max reviewed... and must-play games of 2007 I missed

We started FINALLY playing Sam & Max Season 1 this weekend. For anyone looking for a break from tedious shooters, intense immersive RPGs and sword-slashing action, Sam & Max is a refreshing change – a genuinely funny game.


The puzzle solving that dominates the gameplay – there are a few comical driving stages where Sam & Max rear-end cars and shoot out tail lights in order to give drivers obscene fines – can be a bit of a brain strain, so I recommend playing the game with a partner to ease the mental load. Working together, the boyfriend and I were able to complete the first of 6 episodes in a few hours.

In fact, Sam & Max Season 1 is what I would call the perfect couples game. It isn’t co-op, but you’re working together towards a common goal without the tension of depleting life bars or collapsing armies. Comedy Adventure games are light on player punishment, if sometimes mentally frustrating (resist the urge to consult a walk-through!), so they’re an ideal way to get a non-gamer playing. The genre’s gender neutrality also means these types of games are far less patronising than the majority of “get your girl to game” suggestions that often appear online.


Sam & Max is traditional point-and-click stuff, and most of the fun comes from the wacky rabbit and dog’s quips as you click on items on the screen. Fans of the original LucasArts adventure classic Sam & Max Hit the Road will also pick up on many in-joke references to the earlier game. As an added bonus, despite adopting a 3D approach, the game makers have successfully captured the quirky, cartoony style of the Sam & Max comic and 2D Hit the Road game.

Apart from one or two bugs – the game sometimes freezes as characters move between locations – Sam & Max Season 1 is well worth checking out. And Season 2 is already well under way on the Telltale games website, to download an episode at a time.

-----------------------

Anyway, we’re at that evaluative time of year again, and looking back at 2007, there are a couple of games I regret not playing – mostly because my outdated PC system means I can’t play them in all their visual glory. I’m seriously considering a PC system upgrade in the new year; in which case I may backtrack to play the following:

BioShock
Although I am disturbed by the R450 price tag for a PC game (WTF?), as far as I understand it, BioShock truly is the game of the year – not that overhyped Halo 3 mediocrity. I’m always looking for a new stylish approach to first person shooters and BioShock looks to deliver that in spades.

Overlord
The demo overflowed with deliciously dark humour but it chugged away on my machine, putting me off a purchase. *sigh* I so want to kill unicorns, set fields full of hobbits alight, and send forth my mischievous minions to ride sheep and steal treasure. “Rub acid in his eyes!”


Portal
I honestly don’t care about the rest of the Orange Box. I know Portal is pretty short, but the trailer for this conceptually simple puzzle title blew me away. What a mind trip! Watch it here and be completely sold.

Gears of War
I tried this out on the Xbox, but threw aside the controller with disgust after 5 minutes. Shooters and console controls do not mix for me. I need my mouse cursor and keyboard. Fortunately it’s out on PC now, and by the looks of things, even more stunning than its next-gen console sibling.

Assassin’s Creed
Given how massive a fan I was of the Prince of Persia series, naturally I’ll pay attention to the latest project from the same creative team, which combines many of my favourite things: acrobatic combat, free roaming and Crusades era Jerusalem. Alas, it’s only available for PC in March 2008.


Guitar Hero II
Look, I’ll probably suck at it, but I really have to see what all the "guitar playing" fuss is about. Plus, it could be a lot of fun at parties, especially if your friends are resistant to karaoke game SingStar.

God of War II
It’s been called the last great game for the PS2. It’s been called one of the best games of the year, full stop. So when exactly will this go Platinum so I can afford it? I need my mix of gory, chain-swinging combos and Greek mythology.

-----------------------

Are there any other must-play games of 2007 that I’m missing, bearing in mind that my gaming platforms are PC and PS2?

In terms of games I devoted the most time wasting to in 2007 that “honour” would have to go to Titan Quest and its expansion, Immortal Throne, as well as World of WarCraft in the second half of the year. On the PS2, I accumulated some classics at a bargain price but the only PS2 title I think I completed was the Family Guy video game. Note to self: Finally finish God of War this Christmas break, and either get stuck into Psychonauts, or pick up the new co-op Simpsons video game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!