What's up in my little world?

I'm so looking forward to the long Easter weekend. Paul came up with quite a nice itinerary to max out our time with awesome activities, so I hope nothing pops up to ruin our plans for 300, game reserve visiting and maybe even fly-fishing.

Anyway, I was at the Pavilion last night for dinner at John Dory's with Paul's family - it was Paul's father's birthday. And for the 3rd time, I witnessed the start of a brawl between high school boys.

This happens every school holidays, when the hormonal brats, dropped off by their parents, have nothing better to do than hang out at malls with an entourage of smoking, teeny bopper girls in the shortest miniskirts imaginable. And the situation is only getting worse... like UK worse. Hell, there was a fatal stabbing last week at Gateway. I was so keen to flick out my ASP baton last night for some crowd control...

Anyway, in an unrelated note, I bought the April NAG over the weekend, and with it comes a R50 voucher for any game from Incredible Connection. The question now is "What to buy?" before the voucher expires on 31 May.

There doesn't seem to be anything particularly exciting on the horizon, until at least July. The only thing that has really piqued my interest lately has been Jade Empire: Special Edition for PC, but I'm pretty undecided as to whether it is worth playing as an alternate to continually dipping into Titan Quest: Immortal Throne.


The story and voice work in Jade Empire is supposed to be superb (typical of developer Bioware), but the combat looks disappointingly conventional for a game set in the Far East - where are the visually impressive martial arts moves to match the promised diversity of fighting styles?

I wanted to price the game last night, and glance at the box, but surprisingly Look & Listen didn't have a copy. And if they don't stock it, I seriously doubt Incredible Connection, with their ever dimishing game selection, will have it.


So I need something to play while the guys get over their *yawn* C&C3 fixation. If I don't buy anything new I suppose I can trawl through my back catalogue of collected games that I have yet to play/finish... I'm already nearing the end of Condemned (which, out of coincidence, Ctrl-Alt-Delete's Tim also just completed this last weekend). Very good, atmospheric crime/survival horror game if you haven't read my more detailed impressions in my Monday post.

So what else is new?

I did some online shopping for the first time since Christmas yesterday (and now I wait 10-15 working days for my loot:( ). I satisfied my freaky horror yearnings by ordering the special edition DVDs for Event Horizon (the true Doom movie) and the Dawn of the Dead remake. Unfortunately the original Poltergeist - my favourite ever ghost movie - wasn't available.


I also finally bought my own copy of Alan Moore's Watchmen graphic novel, and Helio and Royler Gracie's Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu book on Submission Essentials. That's probably a good idea since it looks like I'll be competing in the Durban tournament in early June.

Comments

G said…
Why didn't you check BT Games? They're by far the best store. They're the cheapest too! :P
Pfangirl said…
I have an Incredible Connection voucher I'd like to use.
Lord Spaceman said…
Noelle, I'm in the same boat. I've got my voucher, but don't have a clue what to buy.

The sad fact is, that if you don't use it, you have the guilt of throwing R50 away.

Hmm, why not buy a PS2 classic (which are cheap anyway) that you've never played, but have always wanted to ? That was it's EVEN cheaper and you end up not wasting the voucher. PS 2 classics are like R199 are they not ? You'll end up paying R149 !

I might do that and get an XBox 360 classic title.
Pfangirl said…
Yeah, Lord Spaceman, I think buying a PS2 game will be my back-up plan. Maybe something like Farenheit, Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks or even the Simpsons: Hit and Run ;)
Anonymous said…
Freaks! You've paid R40 for a voucher that saves you R50 from a store that charges R30 more anyway. That's just crazy talk!

Plus: How do you sleep at night after using the words "get over" and "C&C3 fixation" in the same sentence?

:P
Pfangirl said…
Ha ha! But you are wrong. I paid R40 to play the TMNT demo... which in turn saved me R300!

And I sleep fine in the land of Nod, thank you ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!