Weeks and Weekends

Ugh, it’s been one of those write-off weeks where I haven’t really been able to do anything I wanted to… at least in the evenings. The days have been long, mentally tiring and very busy, filled with the writing and proofing of website copy for some exceptionally boring websites (Tyres and carpets anyone?). So normally when I get home, after Jiu-Jitsu on a Monday and Wednesday especially, all I want to do is curl up in front on the TV or in bed with a book.

Anyway, I’m hoping to have a pretty chilled weekend, with none of the manic missions and errand running of last weekend.

Fans of my Girlz ‘N’ Games comic strip will be pleased to know that I sketched a new strip last night. The theme is Superman (you know I can’t resist drawing muscled men)… so brace yourselves! I’m wanting to ink and colour it this weekend, and have it online early next week.

Otherwise, I’ll be seeing Superman Returns on Saturday evening at the Pavillion (after a week of premieres and previews it opens officially in South Africa today), and tonight I’m going to a farewell party for someone I have never met in the 3 years I have been dating Paul. Paul, for the record, is only going because he feels guilty about continually blowing off this old school chum.

An evening spent with a crowd of people I don’t know. Woohoo!

Oh, and depending on the weather, we should be sitting on the beach tomorrow watching the aircraft of the Virginia Airshow flying overhead.

Anyway, much delayed, here are some pics from last Saturday’s Durban July, the biggest horse racing event in South Africa. Despite sitting in traffic for an hour and a half to get in, it really was a lot of fun. I’ve never been to a big horse racing event before, and it was a great experience. Everyone is dressed up and really there more to party, eat and drink, and be seen in their glamorous outfits, than to bet money on the 12 races spread out over the day.

Horses on the track



Paul and myself



Example of our tent’s décor and food



My sister and her boyfriend, complete in matching outfits, who were in a tent around the corner



Presentation of the Tit awards



The race course grandstand at night



The overall theme of the day was Baubles and Bangles. It’s apparently an annual tradition for the advertising agency I work for to book a tent, and we had our own dress-up theme- cheap, kitsch and sparkly Bling! In fact, we gave out our own Boob Awards for the people who made the most effort in terms of dressing up, to the point of looking like a tit.

By the way, for anyone interested, EyeoftheTiger, the favourite, won the R2million main race. I betted on him for a place, instead of a win, so I pretty much made back the money I had put on the race. Before we left, unable to deny the geekiness within, Paul and I had to put money on a horse with the cool name of Dragon Lord, who took part in Race 10. He came 4th, so we didn’t even win in terms of the place bet.

Comments

Stacey said…
Glad to hear you had so much fun with the horses, food, booze and b-f.

Your blog seems to be a lot more positive these days.
Pfangirl said…
Yeah, I miss you forum guys and hearing about all the stuff happening in your lives. But I really needed to cut the crap that comes with forums out of my life...

This said, I won't say my work productivity has sky-rocketed. I've become a blog reader instead of a forum browser. So, people, blog regularly... give me something to do!
Dante said…
Will do pfanny

I must write up a post about my weekend in bloem. Just waiting for photos from Verloc.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!