The Vacation Loot

I'm still going to write a post about my weekend's activities (which include the Vodacom July, the biggest annual horse racing event in South Africa). But instead of making it an monster post that takes forever to read, I think I'll spit out some disposable chunks of info.

For example, here are the goodies that Paul brought back from the UK for me- a combination of presents and things I'm paying him for:

Jewellery

There WAS a reason Paul wanted me to pierce my ears. He bought me silver earrings inset with topaz stones, as well as a silver necklace with a Cubic Zirconia. This was my anniversary present 2 months in advance.



A Genuine 200AD Roman Coin

I'm a huge fan of Ancient Mythology and History, and Paul found a genuine Roman coin in York. Apparently the fields there are filled with them (the area was populated by Roman legionaires for ages), and they're worthless except to collectors. Although the back of my coin is largely worn away, the front closely resembles this coin I found online.



Anyway, this coin, and my coin, commemorate Emperor Claudius II Gothicus, who ruled from September 268 - August or September 270AD. He was one of the great military emperors of Rome, and played a role in reviving the Empire's might by subduing the Goths and other invading barbarian tribes.

Claudius II Gothicus was born in Illyricum around 215 A.D. Under Valerian and Gallienus he was recognized as a superb general. After the murder of Gallienus, Claudius Gothicus was proclaimed emperor and preceded to crush the Alemani tribe who had invaded Roman territory. Soon after an enormous horde of Goths poured into the empire. Against all advice, Claudius confronted the barbarians at Naissus in Upper Moesia. He fought a brilliant battle and annihilated them. Unfortunately for the empire, he died of plague after a reign of only two years.

Games

Paul's friend works at a game distribution company, and Paul was able to find the following pre-owned games for me at a discount price:

The Warriors (PS2)
Psychonauts (PS2)
Age of Mythology Gold Edition (PC)
Even the old beloved Oddworld games for PS1- Abe's Odyssey, and the sequel, Abe's Exodus. "Follow me!"



For himself Paul bought:

Tomb Raider Legend (PC)
Oblivion: Collector's Edition (PC)
World of Warcraft (PC)
SSX on Tour (PS2)

Miscellaneous Goodies

A tight fitting girl's Download music festival T-shirt.



A mug with all the Northern Hemisphere constellations referencing Greek mythology.

A bobbing Nightmare Before Christmas toy-thingie to sit by my PC (Paul had to buy something from Forbidden Planet).

And the original Austin Powers DVD. Groovy, baby, yeah!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!