Anniversaries and Weekends

Yesterday, Monday, was my and Paul’s 2 year and 11 month anniversary- just 1 month short of 3 years together. We have the tendency of skimming over the unimportant month anniversaries but I/we don’t forget the year and 6 month dates. Plus, having it on the 24th means our anniversary coincides with other important dates like payday and Christmas Eve.

Anyway, we didn’t celebrate yesterday in the traditional sense. We grappled! While Paul is still rough, slamming his weight down on top of me, I managed to hold my own in yesterday’s Jiu-Jitsu class. Although he was in a superior position for most of the round, at no point could he apply any submission techniques. I just need to practice my escape from mount some more.

Plus, yesterday there were 2 other girls there in class, which was great- gym co-ordinator Chantel (who’s excellent) and Batman fanatic & animator Lauren (who is more at my level and a lot of fun to grapple with).

As for the past weekend:

Friday evening:

A quiet evening at Paul’s, where we just play some Warcraft III and Battlefield 1942 with its Road to Rome and Secret Weapons expansions.



Saturday:

Although I remained in bed for another hour, Paul was up from 7am. Once again there was an emergency on his sister’s farm, which I have renamed The Farm of Death, considering how everything from puppies to ducks to cows has died there, and numerous inanimate objects have broken.

On Saturday, Megan and Wolf managed to burn out the borehole pump, so it was a mad dash in the morning with Paul’s father to pick up piping and other hardware to fix it. Fortunately Paul and I managed to avoid being dragged up to The Farm of Death.

That left us free to reinstall my PC (it’s developed a weird habit of crashing and restarting in the first 2 minutes of turning it on; then working perfectly once it has restarted- and it’s still not fixed). We also joined Warren and Kate in the afternoon for tennis. Bearing in mind I haven’t played for something like 9 years, I think I did OK. It certainly was a lot of fun.

In the evening Warren and Robin came over to Paul’s place for a few games of Carcassonne. When I decided to spice things up by talking like a pirate (Pirates of the Caribbean was on TV in the background), Paul sneaked behind me and began choking me. Next time I'm considering letting myself pass out to make him feel bad.

Sunday:

The day was cold and miserable, perfect for lazing around in pyjamas the whole day. Paul and I were actually doing that when the Farm of Death’s influence struck again. Suddenly the clutch on Megan and Wolf’s bakkie (truck) went, so we lost around 2 hours of our precious weekend travelling up to drop off Paul’s Opel as a replacement car while theirs is at the garage.

At least the incidents of this weekend have pissed off Paul, his mother (who had to drop her heavy workload to help), and even his father to a certain degree. Lionel spends most of his weekends up on the Farm of Death and has pumped well over R100 000 into it. He’s stressed because he has his daughter’s financial burdens on his shoulders, and is overworking himself when he should be easing into retirement.

I’m sorry, but when you’re married, your problems are your own as a couple. You need to be entirely financially independent. You can’t be expecting your parents to bail you out anymore. They are there primarily for advice, minor assistance (babysitting for example) and nothing more. If you can’t afford something, you can’t have it. It’s time to be responsible and realistic, instead of taking dangerous risks because you want some thing.



Otherwise, on a quieter note, Paul and I finished up our Sunday with some PlayStation 2, playing snowboarding game SSX On Tour (with a rock flavour this time), and The Warriors (a spot-on adpatation of the cult 1970’s gang film), which is a bit complex, very unpolitically-correct (you start the game moaning about “faggots”, stealing car radios, mugging people and beating up homeless drunks) but a helluva lot of anarchist fun. All hail to Rockstar for their commitment to adult games!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!