Italy wins Football World Cup

On Friday a the office we placed bets. My first choice, which I put money on, was a 1-0 win to France. Although I wanted Italy to win, the way France seemed to suddenly come together during the tournament suggested they could actually pull off another World Cup Win.

My second consideration was a 1-1 draw, forcing a penalty shoot out, which I presumed Italy would win because veteran French goalie Barthez seemed a bit past it. Although Barthez had nothing to do with bringing about the Italian win, my second theory was spot on. Italy won! So I've missed out on R200 winnings...



Anyway, it was hardly one of my favourite finals. Once again, both the French and Italians were up to their 'acting' tricks, diving on the ground and pretending to be injured, tripping over their own feet to get penalty shots on goal etc. etc. That really is the off-putting side of soccer, which is otherwise such a smooth flowing game.

And then Zidane head butting an Italian in the chest, ending his illustrious career for France with a red card send off. Very bizarre... and totally unnecessary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!