The First Rule of Fight Club



The more I think about it, the more I decide Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is the closest you can get to Fight Club… in a safe environment with far less blood and bruises, of course.

Although physical and mental discipline is a part of it, it’s not about practicing kata’s to thin air. There’s the huge thrill of spending a portion of every class engaged in actually fighting (minus the kicking and striking) a resistant partner. It’s about regaining confidence in yourself through your ability to defend yourself, using your body in a way that we desk-jockey wage slaves have forgotten.

There’s a fantastic freeing physicality to it.

And it’s not about being agro either. Although some grappling sessions can get quite rough, you have to remain calm and focused. Before and after a roll you shake your partner’s hand.

I ended up staying for 2 classes last night (the second one focused on some fun sweeps and take downs), and I was utterly finished by the end of it. But I did get a compliment out of it. Micah said I rolled well, which I’m quite proud of. Apparently when he was speaking to Paul on the phone later, he mentioned it as well.

In other news, as of yesterday my computer is refusing to load up Windows either normally or in safe mode. Paul thinks it has something to do with the Daemon Tools programme, before start up, looking for some ISO’s that it can’t get to until Windows loads. The irony. I hope Paul’s right. I’ve never had this problem with the PC before… and I just reinstalled it on Saturday.

Oh, and I ordered Runebound this morning from Boardgames.co.za. hopefully it’ll arrive in time for the weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!