Christmas in October

I worked at the annual Christmas House in Pinetown on Tuesday evening. Apart from last year I’ve been involved for the last 5 or so years, working at one of the tills.

Essentially the name Christmas House pretty much sums up what it is- a whole house is decorated, and crammed, with Christmas related crafts that are all for sale- there are tree decorations, table settings, dolls, teddy bears, cushions, wall hangings, gift bags, candles, tree skirts, fridge magnets, cards, sweets, nativity scenes, novelty gifts etc. There’s tons of stuff, all reasonable priced (Although, the big spenders took some of the most beautiful merchandise home with them on the opening evening). Basically, the sooner you go, the better the selection. And it changes every year.

Anyway, it’s fascinating to watch the consumer greed take over, with people spending hundreds to over a thousand rands on Christmas decorations. Many people are there buying for their business or B’n’B, but there are also people splashing out for their young children or as a treat for grandchildren. My mother buys a few little things every year with the idea that in a few years, when my sister and myself leave home, we will split the Christmas tree decorations. This year, for much the same reason (and the fact that I couldn’t resist their cuteness) I bought myself a few tree decorations: 2 golden retrievers in Christmas hats, and a cartoony reindeer.

Actually, working at the Christmas House is a big mood boost. I love Christmas, so I get my festive fix a few months early. Your surroundings are beautiful, Christmas carols play constantly and people are cheerful and friendly. It is a situation so far removed from the shopping malls closer to Christmas, where shopping rage leaves people grim faced, tired and snappish.

Apart from the Pinetown address (those of you interested will have to contact me for that), the details of the 15th Annual Christmas Through the Home are:

Tuesday 25th October: 4pm-8pm.
Wed 26th October, Thurs 27th October, Fri 29th October: 10am-6pm.
Saturday 29th October: 10am-1pm.

There is a R5 entrance fee, and tea and refreshments are also sold in aid of Hospice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!