Trailer Tuesday: Jennifer's Body



OK, honestly there are only 2 real reasons I'm posting up the redband trailer for horror comedy, Jennifer's Body. The first reason is that it stars Transformers hottie Megan Fox, so there may be some substantial interest in the film from guys reading this blog. The second reason is that Jennifer's Body comes from the pen of stripper-turned-Academy Award winning screenwriter Diablo Cody (who incidentally is great fun to follow on Twitter). Cody won her Oscar for the hit comedy-drama Juno so I'm expecting a lot of witty dialogue and general quirkiness to accompany the blood and guts in Jennifer's Body.

Anyway, looking at the trailer it would appear that Jennifer's Body will be as much an acquired taste as Drag Me to Hell in that it's clearly not afraid to be an offbeat genre-blender. Or just downright silly.


Personally, although I'm intrigued about the project, I'm not quite sure where I stand yet in terms of my anticipation level: Rush out on opening weekend? Save it for Half-price Movie Tuesday? Wait for DVD? Or just forget about it until it pops up late one night on TV?

The plot of Jennifer's Body centres on a gorgeous, but bitchy cheerleader who is possessed by a demon as a result of a Satan-worshipping rock band. When she starts feeding on teenage boys in the small Minnesota farming town where she lives, it's up to her "plain Jane" best friend (Amanda Seyfried) to stop her.

Jennifer's Body opens in the States on 18 September. No clue when it will be heading our way in SA, but hopefully it will be before the end of the year, and hopefully before the film hits Region 1 DVD (that always bugs me).

And yeah, should the above embedded trailer be taken down by YouTube, you can find the original, better quality one here at ShockTillYouDrop.com, where it first debuted online.

Comments

James Francis said…
I don't know. It could be good, but I have my doubts over both Megan Fox and Diablo Cody. Sure, Juno was great, blah blah blah. Doesn't make for a horror. Also, the director was responsible for the film that nearly killed Charlise Theron's career, Aeon Flux.

Btw, I'm deducting two points for even MENTIONING Drag Me To Hell in the same post. Sam Raimi might have gone astray with his Spider-man films, but the man knows his horror. Not like the newbies involved in this particular film.
Amod Munga said…
I suppose the thing most guys are wondering is "Will she get them out?"

And that leaves us in a quandry: if she does, will that move her into the realm of "Serious Actress" as it has done for so many who have gone before her? Or will she still have to endure a disturbing sexual encounter with Billy Bob Thornton?
HIREN DAVE said…
hi pfangirl...nice to read abt Jennifer's Body...well i would like to see the film just for hot megan...anyway i'm also blogger n addicted watching all sorts of cinema and dedicated my blog to movie reviews..just have a look...click- www.hirendaveworld.blogspot.com

post your comments too if u like..
cheers...
MJenks said…
I've heard rumors that there's a nipple slip in this movie. So, Amod Munga has something to look forward to.
Pfangirl said…
James: The concerns you point out are exactly why I'm a bit torn over my feelings towards the film. But it does have Amanda Seyfried as the best friend and I like her a lot (she was the ONLY good thing in Mamma Mia!) so that's a healthy positive. As for Raimi, I enjoyed Drag Me to Hell, mostly, but I ain't never been an Evil Dead fan, despite many many attempts to sit through the trilogy.

Amod & MJenks: I'm expecting Fox to get them out. Not long lingering shots perhaps, but the audience should get a glimpse here and there. I'd be disappointed if we didn't in an R-rated horror flick centred on what is essentially a succubus.

Whatever happens, I hardly think Jennifer's Body will turn Fox into a Serious Actress. Jolie may also have played the sexpot from the beginning of her career but she always made sure to show off her acting chops in some edgy, unconventional films from the outset. Fox hasn't done that, which I think will be detrimental to her career 5 years from now. Carmen Elektra meets Monica Bellucci here we come.

Hiren: Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll definitely check out your blog.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!