Calling all SA geeks!

As I mentioned briefly in my previous post, I won't be blogging tomorrow or Monday. You see I'm heading up to Johannesburg for ICON, South Africa's biggest games and comics convention. Now in its 17th year, ICON isn't a RAGE, with a dominant video game and technology focus; rather ICON caters for all sectors of the geek and gaming hobbyist community: there will be role playing, board games, PG gaming, anime screenings, cosplay and costume competitions, war gaming, miniatures painting demos, Magic the Gathering tournaments, comics and collectibles to buy, etc etc.

But if you really want to know more, why not download the ICON brochure?


ICON will take place this weekend from Friday, 10 July to Sunday, 12 July at the Jabula Recreation Centre in Sandringham, Johannesburg.

Anyway, I hope to see some of you there. If you are a Gauteng based geek or geekette and you've been a silent reader of this blog for a while, please come over and say hi. I'll be around for pretty much the entire weekend so you should spot me gawking at something or other. ICON is going to be my FIRST EVER gaming convention, and I'm not going to deny I'm a little nervous, given the stories I've heard about previous years and the "candid" Facebook pics I've seen.

For the record, ICON is the biggest and most well attended of South Africa's gaming conventions. There are others, however, and these include UPCON in Pretoria (held in April) and Dragonfire (August) in Cape Town. Magependragon has kindly put the dates for these up on her blog. As for Dirtbin... sorry.. Durban geeks, well, our general apathy, laziness and small community means we don't get a proper convention. Although, last year, December 2008, saw the debut of Umicon, our first ever Anime con. Their official site is dead however, which makes me think a 2009 repeat of the event may not happen...

Anyway, as I was saying ICON will be my first ever con. I have learned the hard way this year the need to get out of my comfort zone and seize opportunities lest I miss out for good, so I will be taking part in various activities, including dress-up Live Action Role Playing (LARPing) on the Saturday evening.

Naturally I will be taking many photos, scribbling up notes for a post-event blog post and even tweeting from the event over the course of the weekend. If you're interested you can Follow Me here, or just check out my Twitter stream on the right side of this blog.

Oh, one final thing... To help attendees recognise me, (even if it's a bit camouflaged by Winter woolies) I'll be wearing a white T-shirt proudly displaying my Girlz 'N' Games web comic logo. Nothing like a bit of shameless self-promotion slapped on to your own body to hopefully garner some interest...

So, yes, guys (and girls), you have my permission to stare at my chest as much as you want this weekend.

Comments

MJenks said…
No effing way!

I was going to write something about staring at your chest, but the word verification is, I swear, "enerd".

I just took a screen shot picture to prove it.

Sorry, dear, but this is perfect blog fodder.
MJenks said…
Okay...now that that's out of the way.

When it comes to shameless self promotion...should I ever get a book published, I'm getting a shirt and wearing it EVERYWHERE.

Also...nice pic.
Ryan said…
Hey, welcome to Joburg!
Hope you enjoy Icon!Don't know if I'll get there, but if it going to be anything like Rage I'll make an effort at least.
corticoWhat said…
WOW....most girls charge me to let me stare at their chest. Thanks for the freebie. :)
Eric said…
Over on Mjenks recommendation! Glad to hear you will soon be a Con-girl.
Nice movie reviews here...

ps - nice shirt.
Pfangirl said…
Thanks for the comments guys... um, I think.

I had a great time at ICON and managed to survive the Johannesburg Winter cold on the whole. Only one evening, when I was prancing about in a tiny skirt, really got to me. But I'll write more about that soon.

Anyway, welcome to the blog new readers, especially those of you who have ended up here as a result of MJenks' recommendation. Just to let you know however that this blog doesn't normally feature so much breast focus ;)

As for MJenks, I haven't decided yet if I'm going to thank him or seek online vengeance :)
Organic Meatbag said…
I'm sorry to stare at your chest upon my first visit to your blog...but...here goes!
Hahaha... great blog you have here!
Pfangirl said…
Thanks for visiting Organic Meatbag and taking the time to comment. Great blog you have there yourself:)

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!