Happy Harry Potter Day!

To celebrate today's midweek release of the sixth Harry Potter film, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince in the States, South Africa, and various other countries around the world, I have decided to declare today unofficial Harry Potter Day!

In keeping with this spirit, today our department at work is being treated to all 5 John Williams' Harry Potter scores blared out of my PC speakers, and I've even brought a little cosplay to the office.

Commence teasing!


For the record, I'm a firm believer that if I was at Hogwarts, I would so have been in Ravenclaw House. Plus, I always really liked their colour scheme.

What I always find surprising is how easy it is for me to remember the Harry Potter terminology and world mythos, especially since, with the exception of Half-Blood Prince, I've only read JK Rowling's books once. I'm a bit hazy with character names, but surprisingly I can tell you what a Grindylow is, or explain the difference between Butterbeer and Firewhiskey, and their respective legal drinking ages. Very weird, and I'm not quite sure why such useless information has penetrated my memory like that. Perhaps JK Rowling is a sinister witch after all?

Anyway, I now open the floor to you my fellow geeks and geekettes. What are your favourite Harry Potter films, and who are your favourite characters from the film/book series?

My favourite HP movies, from most to least enjoyed are:

1) Order of the Phoenix - The most recent film in the series, and a perfect adaptation of one of my favourite HP books. Dolores Umbridge makes a far more enjoyable, realistic villain than Voldemort.

2) Chamber of Secrets - Sure it had Dobby the masochistic house elf, but this film really worked for me. Plus we get to visit the cosy Weasley Burrow for the first time and explore the darker side of Diagon Alley.

3) Philosopher's / Sorcerer's Stone - The wonder-filled first installment could easily have been #2 on this list if the rubbery special effects hadn't dated so badly.

4) Prisoner of Azkaban - A favourite among fans and casual moviegoers alike (apparently) but this, the first of the "dark" Potter films, just didn't work for me. Loved the hippogriff though.

5) Goblet of Fire - Based on one of my favourite books in the series but horribly rushed and continually cutting away from the scenes you want to see. Worst of all it had the mystery at its heart ripped out.

As for favourite franchise characters, my heart has probably always belonged to Professor Minerva McGonagall, played in the films by Maggie Smith. A stern, yet understanding teacher, McGonagall is definitely a badass magic caster you want on your side, despite her frail appearance. If the film Deathly Hallows: Part 2 features that scene in the final book where she leads rampaging desks and chairs down the Hogwarts' corridors into battle, I will be very, very happy.

Comments

MJenks said…
I'm a McGonagall fan, as well. My son's first girlfriend had the last name of McGongagle, which was pronounced the same. Granted, she was the cutest girl in the class, but I was also like "marry her."

I'm also a fan of Lupin and Fred and George, as well.

But, my favorite is Snape. Duh. He's the chemist.
Pfangirl said…
Lol, of course, the chemist.

I must say as a alchemist in World of WarCraft (it's one of my character's money-making professions) I have a new respect for potion making... as well as its consistent profitability ;)

Anyway, I'm definitely a fan of Fred & George as well, and... er... Crookshanks the cat. I always wished he had a bigger part towards the end of the series. Seems like JK forgot about him when he really had potential.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!