Sex and the... oh, really, who cares?

Sex & The City opens in the US and South Africa today and I am so utterly… disinterested.


Don’t get me wrong, I was a huge fan of the TV series. However, I was content with the way things wrapped up. When the credits rolled for the last time in 2004, I thought the series had ended on a solid note.

Now it turns out that the story of Carrie, Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte is not over. Their TV happy ending was not a "real" conclusion. Audiences need a MOVIE happy ending.

Hollywood, never content to let anything or anyone bow out gracefully, has decided that we must be subjected to more of the martini-sipping, sex-talking fashion victims. 145 minutes more, to be exact – almost 2 and a half frikken hours! With that amount of screen time why didn’t they just make another TV series for old times sake?

I think my main problem is that I’ve been totally underwhelmed by the self-satisfied trailer. I was always intending to profile Sex & The City for the weekly Trailer Tuesday feature, but somehow never got around to it. So here’s the trailer anyway:



The big question is whether Sex & The City can actually attract that most inconsistent and unlure-able member of the cinema audience – the adult woman – and topple Indiana Jones from the #1 spot at the box office.

I don’t normally get caught up in discussions of box office figures, largely because I think studio executives are starting to develop unrealistic expectations given the world’s economic climate. For example, how can a $55 million opening weekend for Prince Caspian a fortnight ago be labelled “disappointing”? Since when is making $55 million in 2-3 days a failure? It just doesn’t make sense.

All this said, it will be interesting to see on Monday whether a trio of TV women can actually come out ahead of the blockbuster boys combo of Steven Spielberg, George Lucas and Harrison Ford.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hahaha, I totally loved SatC!

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!