Reality TV watch

Well, some of South Africa’s favourite reality shows are back with a vengeance.

Numero Uno on the list is Season 4 of Idols. It’s still early days for this glorified singing contest. For many viewers this preliminary stage, where the judges weed out the “talented” and panga away at the “untalented,” is their favourite part of the series.

Personally, I only start paying attention once they’ve whittled down participants to the final 10. I really don’t get a kick out of seeing people cruelly ridiculed. “You look like a chipmunk…” How exactly is that constructive criticism? It’s only there for nasty audience gratification. And besides, how can you slam someone for “not looking like an idol” when the last time around you set a precedent by awarding the Idols title to a bloated, moley lounge singer – who has, incidentally, done nothing since winning other than screw a murderer?


Bah, perhaps I’m just irritated by the entire Idols phenomenon because of my family’s obsession with the show. We only got DSTV at home in December last year – which means that now my family can watch a DTSV channel entirely devoted to Idols auditions. I don’t watch much TV, so sitting in my room in the evenings all I hear down the passageway is horrific acapella caterwauling blaring out of the TV for hours on end. It drives me crazy.

Meanwhile, I’m enjoying Survivor: Cook Islands on SABC3 on Tuesday evenings. As expected, after just 2 weeks, the racially split tribes have merged, and the alliances and backstabbing are kicking in. I think I accidentally stumbled across the winner on one of my favourite blogs, but then again I could just be mixing misty memories with my desire to see one specific contestant win.


South Africa’s own second season of Survivor also started last week on MNET: Survivor: Malaysia. I haven’t watched much of it, but the production team seem to have steered clear of pseudo-celeb contestants this time around, which is a blessing.

But I don’t know. I just can’t seem to get into the local production. It doesn’t spark my interest. It doesn’t have the same energy, tauntness and entertainment value as the American show. Worst of all, it doesn’t have the theme music! I understand if local productions don’t have the rights to use the US music, but for longtime Survivor junkies like me, that tribal intro is a big selling point. It makes me as giddy as The Amazing Race’s theme.

Speaking of The Amazing Race, once Survivor: Cook Islands finishes its run on SABC, we can enjoy The Amazing Race All-Stars, which sees the return of some of our favourite “love them” and “hate them” teams, including the notorious Rob and Amber.

But returning to the topic of local Survivor, I really don’t see myself watching much of the show. Especially since it overruns with Heroes! And that addictive superhero series is much more of a viewing priority...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!