The weekend

The weekend was a bit of a weird one: On the one hand we seemed to get around quite a bit but it just didn’t feel that gratifying. That’s largely because Paul and myself, despite spending a week apart – Paul was up in the Mpumalanga “firelands”, replacing melted computers and re-setting up systems – still had very little “couple” time together...

Time to move out to our own place I think, to escape being imprisoned in the house by an endless series of family commitments just because we’re around. Not that I can really say anything of course, because then I’m being a royal, selfish bitch – but I think I’ll put my foot down this coming weekend (well, as much as I can) and make it solely about us having a good, chilled time.

Anyway, some of Paul’s family was down from Johannesburg for his grandfather’s funeral on Friday afternoon. That meant keeping them occupied, and culminated in a 2 hour drive down the coast on Saturday for lunch at the awesome Ramsgate Waffle House.

I can’t say much about the preceding Friday evening though because it ended up being one of my occasional crash-and-burn evenings. Escaping a lounge and kitchen crammed with people (I feel claustrophobic in those situations), I lay down on Paul’s bed and passed out cold. For almost 12 hours straight.

What I probably found most frustrating this weekend was that Paul was dumped with 4 PCs from his family, saturated with viruses, which he then had to sort out. I’m telling you, IT people are like doctors in the 21st Century – always expected to be on call.

The only bonus to sitting alone for long stretches was that it gave me plenty of time to read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I’m currently about 150 pages from the end. God knows how they’re going to turn the last book into a film because it is by far the busiest, most action-packed of the books. And with all events interconnected, you can’t really knock out a link without the entire chain snapping into incomprehension.


There were some bright points to the weekend though. On Saturday evening we escaped to Musgrave for some dinner and a movie – Transformers. I’m sure I’ll put up a proper review in the next few days but the short version: Absolutely awesome action sequences and special effects, but a laggy middle section that tries too hard to be comical, and an awful plot. And I’m sorry but the Decepticons (the “evil” Transformers) were so much cooler than the Autobots (the “good” robots).


And on Sunday afternoon I had to interview Gareth F, the Naked Ninja, about game development. It gave us a chance – post one-on-one interview – to catch up with some of the Durban crowd, who joined us at Lower Expresso (or whatever that roadside coffee shop is called next to the Woolworths Food on Cowie Road).

Anyway this week is going to be quite hectic. I have 3 articles due for next Monday on top of my fulltime job, and as usual my week evenings are full. Plus on the public holiday Thursday I have a friend’s going-away braai that I know will carry on late into the evening. I guess I’ll be maximising whatever free time I get, so that means it’s sacrifice time – no Harry Potter, no World of WarCraft, and no sleeping in until all my work is done : (

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!