Head Colds & The Quest for Snow

I woke up on Friday at 5am with a sore throat and running nose (no doubt helped by last week’s stress). This meant I had a nasty head cold for the whole weekend.

After the hair-raising drive home during the big storm on Friday evening, I was no mood to get back in my car and drive down to Paul’s where he was having a business meeting in the middle of a black out.

Instead, I spent the evening working on my July GEAR column, which was surprisingly quick and easy to write, for a change. Must be the personal subject matter and the extensive brainstorming notes I’ve written for at least the next 4 columns. I also worked on Micah’s Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu website, which is now over half done.

On Saturday I accompanied my mother to the Pavillion to buy some flannel PJs for the winter and some general other wintery clothing. I popped in at Look & Listen and, giving in to my consumerist urges, picked up the Who Framed Roger Rabbit? DVD and The Bard’s Tale PC game. Not that I’ve had time to play anything lately… last night my Desktop Cleaner Wizard even popped up and asked if it could delete unused desktop icons, all of which were games.

The rest of my Saturday day was spent working on Micah’s website. Paul picked me up on his way back from the Pietermaritzburg airshow with his father. We spent the rest of Saturday at his place trapped at a family gathering (his uncle and aunt are over for a fortnight from Australia) and trying to entertain his 18 year old cousin, who was quite literally dozing off in the company of all the 60+ year olds.

It wasn’t all bad though. We watched the pilot episode of ‘Allo ‘Allo Season 1, and, ‘Listen carefully, I shall say this only once’… I’m very happy to report that after 24 years, the series still holds up as one of the finest, most distinctive British comedy series ever made.




On the freezing, wet Sunday, Paul and I, accompanied by G and a hung-over Shirley, embarked on our first ‘Quest for Snow’ of this year’s winter. After last year’s unusually mild, almost non-existent Winter, Mother Nature seems to be making up for it with a vengeance. Unfortunately, by the time we got up to the Nottingham Road and Camberg areas, the sky had cleared and the only snow was on the distant mountain peaks of Lesotho.

Instead we tested goat cheese at the Marrakesh farm; ate cold, strangely sweet savoury pancakes and visited Paul’s sister, Megan, on her farm. It’s amazing how much of a difference a week makes in terms of puppies. Their eyes have opened and they’re wobbling around on their unsteady legs. They’re beginning to show personality.

The only Border Collie pup who doesn’t yet have a future home is my favourite: a little, almost completely black girl. I may, just may, be able to convince my parents of a joint custody arrangement in which we share her costs and whoever has the space looks after her. She was given the impromptu name of Jet by Megan on Sunday, and I like that. Jet, or maybe something like Nyx.





Perhaps only techie geeks would catch the humour of this, but Jet’s nearly identical brother is called Flash. Jet and Flash. Perhaps one of the other siblings should be called Transcend?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!