The weekend warrior

The bf was well on the road to recovery this weekend – I believe he’s back to work, at least for a while, today. However, we didn’t want to subject his body to Out & About physical strain so the weekend was pretty chilled, consisting of DVDs, home made burgers, baking chocolate squares and World of WarCraft questing.

In terms of DVD watching we returned to some blockbuster groundbreakers of the past 17 years or so – Terminator 2: Judgement Day and The Fellowship of the Ring.


Apart for some rather dodgy blue screen driving sequences, I’m pleased to report that T2’s “morphing liquid metal” ingenuity still holds up visually. I have to admit that I never understood why Skynet dumped the prototype T-1000 model – it always seemed so vastly superior to the Terminatrix of Terminator 3. Anyway, as an added bonus, the DVD we watched featured both the theatrical release and Director’s Cut of the movie, incorporating 16 minutes of extra footage. Not bad special features for an Arnie 2-movies-for-the-price-of-1 box set.

We attempted to watch Fellowship of the Ring twice, but just couldn’t make it through the 3 hour running time. Granted we were watching it after 10pm both times, but how I managed to sleep through Gandalf vs. the Balrog twice, I really don’t know. Again, 7 years on, the special effects are still holding up solidly. I must say that it was especially fun to apply World of WarCraft thinking to the movie – just little things like imagining Sauron striding around the battleground in the opening scene with a “Dark Overlord 80 (Elite)” floating above his head, and Pippin and Merry being berated by the other Fellowship members as “noobs” for their tendency to aggro.


Speaking of World of WarCraft, remember a little while ago how proud I was of my colour coordinated hunter? Well, that situation has changed... Now you get to see a female orc in a strange little hybrid of hot pants and chap. Check out those sexy Orcish legs. Once you’ve finished throwing up you may (or may not) be interested to know that the boots you see Bestilla wearing there, belong to Erik the Swift of The Lost Vikings, one of Blizzard’s earlier non-WarCraft /non-StarCraft games. You encounter the trio of Norse heroes holding down a makeshift fort in the Uldaman dungeon in the Badlands.

I’ve also been working towards getting the Dreadsteed mount for my warlock – an expensive, time consuming process. The irony is that despite being someone who has never drooled over cars in real life, in-game I really do care about “my ride” – soon my flaming demonic horsey, soon. Mamma's coming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!