Weekend amusements

I caught 2 movies this weekend, CGI-animated TMNT (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) and whimsical fantasy Stardust. Except my reviews here over the course of the next few days.

And before I get blasted for not inviting the Durbs crowd to Stardust, it was a last-minute decision to see it on Sunday evening at the Pavillion – World Cup Rugby had yet again replaced the Sunday evening blockbuster on TV, and I wasn’t up for the tension of a semi-final Springbok match (I’m convinced bad things happen when I’m in the room watching!). Plus, the cinemas were gloriously empty.

Anyway, I’m a “widow” for a full month starting Saturday, so I’m super keen to tag along again when people want to go see Stardust… or any movie. Just drop me an SMS or email. I’m obviously free more often on weekends than weekday nights.


So Friday evening was Turtles, and Sunday evening was Stardust. On Saturday I had to house- and sick-grandmother-sit so that gave me a chance to enjoy some serious World of WarCraft playing. Paul and I have managed to recruit/trick another friend to join the game so I spent most of my playing time grouped with him. His undead Mage, Quathog and my undead Warlock, Euridycce (my secondary character, Level 12), make for a pretty potent magical combination.

I was also pleasantly surprised to discover that for a predominantly ranged attacker, the Warlock is a lot tougher than the fragile Hunter (my Level 31 main character), who tends to lose a lot of their effectiveness when melee attacked and robbed of the range needed to use their trusty bow. If you play a Warlock cleverly you can get out of most gang-attack situations.

Plus, my Warlock has taken the herbalism and alchemy professions. I had no idea how useful alchemy was until now. Now that I can make potions myself, there’s no need to fork out silver for them anymore!

And proving that WOW is not unshakeable gamer-heroin, I need to state that I didn’t lose the whole of Saturday to the game. I also did something I haven’t done for a while, seeing as I’ve been on a health kick – baking. I’m a functional cook, but a pretty good baker (if I do say so myself), and I whipped up chocolate squares and a loaf of banana bread.

In the evening I joined Paul and a table of foreign men for drinks at Stokers in Kloof. Two glasses of white wine had their usual soporific effect and I was fast asleep shortly afterwards.

Sunday was the first day of glorious, consistent sunshine in Durban for almost 2 weeks. Paul and I spent the day at uShaka Marine World, where they are currently running an “Adults Pay Kids’ Prices” promotion until 30 November. In other words, you can get into Sea World (the Aquarium) for R62, and the Wet ‘n Wild Water Park for R55. So if you’re a local who has never been to either of uShaka Marine World’s major attractions, shame on you. Now’s your chance, during off-peak season.

Parts of the water park were under maintenance – the Lazy River is currently drained – but that didn’t bother us since we spent the whole day at Sea World, where every attraction was running except for the touch pools. It does actually take you a full day to do the aquarium, and watch all the shows.

I’m pleased to report that in the 2 years since I’ve last seen them, the dolphin show and seal pantomime have been drastically revamped for the better. No more stupid, badly dressed pirates to harass the audience, or some rubbish storyline about the Seas Princess and pollution. The presenters and trainers still push an environmentally-friendly agenda, but the animals seem to have adjusted to their new tanks and training, and put on impressive performances.


As for the aquarium, it’s as world class as ever. And walking through the sub-ocean rooms, with their deliberately decayed opulence and 1920’s retro feel, we suddenly twigged – we were in BioShock! Just substitute Harassed Fathers for Big Daddies and Screaming Brats for Little Sisters.

An additional aquarium attraction at the moment is an exhibit of dangerous reptiles and insects: mambas, rattlesnakes, rinkaals, vipers, poisonous tree frogs, tarantulas and assorted other nasties.

Anyway, as locals, we felt a bit guilty that despite coming to Sea World at least 4 times since its opening, we’d never participated in any of the “pay extra” attractions, including the Snorkelling Lagoon and Ocean Walker Experience.



Yesterday we tried out the Shark Cage Experience… although it’s nowhere near as exciting as it sounds. The most dangerous thing in the tank isn’t even a shark. Lifted straight from Austin Powers, it’s an ill-tempered sea bass currently weighing in at a monstrous 200kg. The sharks are just bottom skimming Guitar Sharks, and the menacing looking but exceptionally placid “Raggies” – Ragged Tooth Sharks. Still, it’s a unique if chilly experience – certainly the closest I’ve ever been in water to a shark. Well, to my knowledge, anyway.

Then of course, Sunday rounded off with Stardust and the second half of the Argentina/South Africa rugby match. Let's all be cautiously optimistic this coming weekend, guys!

Comments

Dante said…
Me and my lady got to see Stardust this past weekend as well. It is well worth the watch. Robert de Niro was brilliant. Great story too. Not much of a fantasy fan but I loved this type of fantasy. It was great.
Pfangirl said…
Glad to hear you enjoyed it, Dante. I also thought it made a nice change from the glut of sequels we've been exposed to recently ;)
Dante said…
Too true, but there are some nice films on circuit on the moment. I am still keen to see The Brave One. Shoot em up totally supriced me.

For some reason though I am totally avoiding Rush Hour 3. I have been keen on watching some kung fu action but Jackie has let me down in tha past. Thinking I might buy one if his older Hong Kong work. It was his best by far anyway.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!