The Soccer World Cup 2006

I’ve haven’t seen many of the FIFA World Cup matches but some of the games I have seen have been pretty entertaining. Although I stick by my opinion that so many soccer players are drama queens, dropping at the slightest shin tap in the hope of landing a free kick, you can see soccer’s appeal.



The main advantage of the sport (soccer or football, depending what you prefer to call it) is a very flowing game- there are little to no long, tedious stop-start-stop-start moments that can make rugby such a staccato game. And some of the attempts on goal are extremely exciting. You really get caught up in the fast-moving action.

I’m particularly looking forward to the match on the 22nd between the USA and Ghana. Of the games I have seen, most have been in Pool A (I think), which contains, the US, Ghana, Italy and the Chzek Republic. Although their defence isn’t so hot, Ghana has been doing an excellent job as one of the few African nations in the competition. They’re an aggressive, attacking team, much makes for a lot of exciting action, and on the 22nd they’ll be facing a US team who has to win to stay in the competition.

Anyway, I’m no expert but at the moment I’m thinking teams that will go far in the competition will be Spain, Argentina, Brazil and Germany. France and England should go through into the last 16 but I can’t see them in the final.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!