Trailer Tuesday: Wreck-It Ralph






When it comes to the second half of the year there's an usually high percentage of animated movies on my 2012 Must Watch list - including ParaNorman, Rise of the Guardians, Hotel Transylvania and Frankenweenie. Freshly joining this list as well is Wreck-It Ralph, Disney's big non-Pixar release for the holidays.


The first trailer for Wreck-It Ralph was unveiled just last week and it outlines the film's plot nicely: The title character (John C. Reilly) is a burly arcade game villain who, after 30 years, is tired of being a much maligned platformer bad guy. Looking for some appreciation, and a chance to prove himself a hero, Wreck-It Ralph sets off on an odyssey through video gamedom. Along the way he encounters Jane Lynch's tough Gears of War-style sergeant, Sarah Silverman's insufferably cute heroine and a ton of characters from famous games like Super Mario Brothers, Street Fighter and Pac-Man - all of which Disney have licensed for use. 

I don't see what's not to find appealing about this movie. Kids (and the young at heart), animation and video games go together like crepe pancakes, cinnamon and syrup. Although evidently played largely for laughs, Wreck-It Ralph may actually be that rarest of things: a good "video game movie." And I'm certainly looking forward to playing Spot the Cameo while watching it.

Wreck-It Ralph releases in 3D (pretty standard for animated flicks these days!) in North America on 2 November. The film's South African release date is still unknown, but I'd expect it on local screens in early December to coincide with the start of the school holidays.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm not the world's biggest fan of animation, but I must admit I do enjoy my share of Wall-E, Madadascar (which I'll be seeing their newest offering in a couple of days),toy story and Avatar just to mention a few, ( bytheway,just joking on the Avatar reference, J. Cameron out did himself).
I am looking forward to this animation though. I've always imagined all my favourite game characters in a single movie, God of War's Kratos is"nt in this movie but Street fighter and Pacman will do just fine. I'm so excited and kinda worried that it might dissapoint me, but hey it's an animation afterall, it never dissapoints that much. Lovely review, I'm all excited now.

maxdome@blogspot.com

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!