Weekend report-back

Right, so South Africa has finished its recent run of public holidays and now we're back to full 5-day working weeks for the next month and a half. Much to my delight.

Anyway, the weekend was a pretty relaxing one. Apart from pencilling and inking the next Girlz 'N' Games web comic (due online later this week), I don't think I did anything "productive".

I started off the long weekend on Thursday evening by going to watch the Clive Owen action-thriller The International. My full review will obviously pop up here soon enough, but the short version is that it is a pretty enjoyable popcorn flick UNTIL the ridiculous Guggenheim Museum fight sequence. Up until this point the film had been largely realistic. Suddenly though it morphs into a sub-par James Bond movie, and instead of being enthralled by the bullets and bloodshed the cinema audience actually started laughing!


Anyway, Friday and Saturday were both lazy days (I don't think I even changed out of my pajama pants on Saturday). We played our rescheduled Dungeons & Dragons session on Friday afternoon, continuing our search for a group of powerful demons in the process of forming an uncharacteristic alliance - against the celestials, as well as everyone of our plane.

Our game ended (as usual) on cliffhanger, with our characters locating a secret passageway under a curiously untouched temple in the battle-ravaged capital city. Of course, as we descended a flight of stairs into the darkness, my paladin (somewhat unbalanced in his full plate armor) stumbled and fell, landing face-first in front of a door... which immediately swung open. So much for the element of surprise.


After D&D we joined friends for dinner and drinks at Waxy's. I stuck solely to Coke... in fact, the whole weekend I didn't touch a drop of alcohol. This was after I overdid it with tequila-based cocktails and Jagerbombs at a work function on Wednesday evening. Although I wasn't too tipsy on the night, I felt appalling the next day... with my first (and last!) proper hangover. Oh, well, at least as a writer now I can accurately describe the experience first hand.

Games-wise this weekend, I devoted a fair amount of time to World of WarCraft, bidding on a few nice epic "purple" items, capping my First Aid skill, getting myself a solid "blue" fishing rod and completing some quests as part of Children's Week. Basically this world event sees your character giving back to children orphaned by the conflict between the Alliance and Horde races - you give them toys, buy candy and take your assigned orphan around the world to famous places they've always wanted to see.


The bf and I also continued playing our current multiplayer flavours of the moment - real time strategy WarCraft III and first person shooter Battlefield 1942. I've decided I really need to sit down and play the WarCraft III single player campaign, so I'm looking at playing a stage an evening to progress through it in a manageable way.

On Sunday we had a couple of family commitments to attend, including the christening of the bf's niece (the bf is her godfather), and dinner with my father's cousin who was down for the weekend from failed state Zimbabwe. We also spent a few hours at the beach, catching some sun. The water was incredibly flat at Vetch's Pier, so I headed out to do some snorkeling. The most exciting thing I saw though apart from the usual reef fish was a parrotfish and a little moray eel.

The weekend was rounded off with sketching and watching Enchanted for the second time. I adore Amy Adams in this film, but am always put off by the overblown battle that concludes the movie. Curiously, the bf had a very different reaction to the film. He accepted the final fight as a traditional fairy tale trope but was very upset about Giselle's transformation. He felt that in becoming real she lost her appealing happiness and optimism. Different strokes for different folks, I guess...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!