Weekend rundown

Well, I can't say I did anything especially exciting this last weekend. The same can't be said for other women in my family: my sister did her first ever tandem skydive as part of her boyfriend's birthday celebrations, and my aunt made a triumphant return to the Comrades Marathon after a 3-year break. She completed the world's oldest, largest ultra-marathon in just over 10 hours.

I suppose I did achieve one thing this weekend and that was a return to proper paint-on-canvas painting after a break of 9 years. You see we've recently repainted our office boardroom and bar area, and everyone at the company has been given a little canvas and challenged to paint some sort of alcohol-related image as decoration (deadline is 17 June).

I would honestly have preferred to work in acrylics, but seeing as that would mean forking out for a whole new set, I turned to my trusty old oil paints instead. "Old" being the operative word. My painting only requires 5 colours, but the lids of 2 of the paint tubes had hardened shut. After resorting to all kinds of measures to open them, and enduring a badly skinned finger in the process, the tubes eventually just split open. Yay. They're still usable though, and once my painting is complete, I'll post up a photo here.


Anyway, my main activities of the weekend, apart from painting, were doing some baking (chocolate crunchies), playing our weekly Dungeons & Dragons session, making a less than triumphant return to Guitar Hero (this time with microphones so enhance the embarrassment!) and finally watching Star Trek.

Of course my full review will pop up on this blog during the coming week, but the summary version is that Star Trek is a lot of fun, and it's very pretty to look at (oh, the irony that George Lucas's Industrial Light & Magic is responsible for the film's special effects). It's just that, well, the film doesn't have much depth. It's definitely a good time, but it's tonally a lot lighter than, say, Battlestar Galactica, which is my sci-fi obsession of the moment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!