The weekend

Seriously, what's up in Durban today? It seems like the first day of Spring and all the sunlight has fuel-injected everyone out of laid-back coastal mode. Durbanites are even off shooting American tourists for their cameras and wallets.

*Sigh*

2010 is going to full of cases like this - people heading off to do the "touristy" thing, visiting iconic places in the city (as tourists always do), and then becoming victims of violent crime.

Anyway, moving away from such a depressing, embarrassing topic...

I did a fair amount of World of WarCraft playing on Friday and Saturday evening. I'm currently saving up 5 000 gold for my super-fast flying mount, and working towards collecting the entire Dreadweave Armor Set. Here's my warlock wearing 3 pieces of the PVP battlegear set - I just need 1 more item (hopefully the gloves) to get my 4-piece set bonus.


Otherwise Saturday was spent out and about - at gym (where I stiffened up my shoulders on the rowing machine), at Stanfordhill Road (where awesome surfwear sales are currently underway), at Tekkie Town (where I FINALLY found a decent pair of walking shoes for my overseas trip), and at a friend's house.

Sunday was largely filled with a family braai/barbecue, and rounded off with Aliens: Special Edition, which I hadn't seen in years. Seriously, the 1986 James Cameron sequel is much better than the Ridley Scott 1979 original. Looking at it now, you can see how incredibly influential this film was, particularly in the realm of video games - the AVP game and the Doom 3 are visually and tonally just like it.


Aliens really is the perfect action sci-fi thriller. Apart from maybe 3 moments where the special effects showed their age, the film holds up incredibly well... in all departments. I remember not being allowed to watch the film when I was little, but still being frightened by the sound of gun battles and Alien shrieks while sitting in the next room.

It really depresses me that after Titanic, James Cameron pretty much retired from directing. He remains one of my favourite all-time film helmers, with a (surprisingly short) filmography that includes Aliens, the Abyss, True Lies, Titanic, Terminator 1 and 2... and Terminator 3D for theme park attendees.

Cameron does seem to have a few projects lined up for the future though - 2009 sees the release of a CGI-motion capture project called Avatar, and Battle Angel, focusing on a female cyborg, is being prepped for a 2011 release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!