The Weekend

On Friday evening, Paul and I joined Warren and Kate for movies at the Pavilion. There is very little male-friendly material showing at cinemas at the moment. Paul has flat-out refused to see Pride and Prejudice, Brokeback Mountain or Casanova. I’m going to have to see the first 2 with my mother, and Ash says she is organising an outing for the third flick.

Anyway, given our limited movie choice, we ended up seeing The Matador, starring Pierce Brosnan, Greg Kinnear and indie-darling Hope Davis. The film is one of those quirky independently made comedy-dramas, which I normally have an allergic reaction towards. Fortunately The Matador didn’t turn out to be a total turkey, but the tale of a burned out assassin who forces himself on a quiet businessman does lag at times. The film isn’t particularly memorable. This said, Pierce Brosnan is excellent. It’s interesting to see him acting for a change as opposed to pulling the suave Bond routine.



On Saturday morning Paul and I were at the Pavilion so that he could get some information on flying to the UK in June for the Download Festival music concert.
While we were there, I picked up a brochure for Contiki Tours of Europe. That decided it. I was umming and ahhing over going to England for a few weeks with Paul in June this year. It’ll be expensive for such a short stop-over, plus I’ve just started a new job and have car payments to clear.

To cut a long story short: I’m now going to be saving up to tour Europe in June 2007. And everyone is welcome. Going as a group would be awesome. At the moment I’m very keen on an organised tour which frees me of all the planning. I think one of the major bonuses of those kind of tours is that for someone like me, having never been to mainland Europe, you get a taste of everything. When you go solo the next time, you have an idea of what you would like to spend more time seeing and exploring.

Stacey, chances are you are going to read this, so I’m warning you now that you may find me approaching you online for advice at some stage in the future.

Anyway, on Saturday late afternoon / evening, we had something of an official ‘Welcome home, Ian’ braai and games session. It was more of a social and braai than a LAN, though we did sneak in a few games of Quake III. I actually managed to get Gareth a few times (which was highly rewarding), and both Ashley and Ian were easy prey. Hehehe.

Ian took the best pics of the evening, and hopefully he’ll put a few online, but here are the best off Paul’s camera:

Ian manning the braai, with G in the foreground -



G and Shirley -



Gareth and Denbeigh (please note how D is attempting to escape but is pinned in place. Just kidding ;))



Sunday was more of a lazy day. We joined Ian, Ashley, G and Shirley at Joe Cools on the beachfront for their breakfast buffet. On top of my breakfast, I sneaked a Pillsbury Caramel Chip muffin into my bag for lunch today because they are awesome. After stopping in at Paul’s cousin’s place to help set up his wireless Internet connection, we just lazed around at Paul’s place until well into the evening.

Although Paul still has to book, it’s very likely we’re going to the Berg this coming weekend, leaving at around 12:30 on Friday and coming back on Sunday. Speak to Paul if you are interested, because everyone is welcome.

Comments

Stacey said…
Just remember the end of June is school holidays and high season, so when you look for airfares in June, try and find out when low season is.
Pfangirl said…
Hey Stacey, at the moment I'm looking at early June as the best time to go.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!