Movies of the Year 2008

Well, it's my second to last day before our company shuts down for a 2 week Christmas break, so I thought I better squeeze in my list of the Best, Worst and Most Disappointing films of the year. Of course this is my personal list, dependent on what I've seen, so there will be some notable exclusions. For example, based on what many, many friends have said, In Bruges definitely deserves a spot on the Best List while Meet the Spartans, Disaster Movie and Meet Dave are all Razzie contenders for the year.

Anyway, here are the Awesomes, the Awfuls and the Let Downs in order of release during the year - with links to my original reviews:

Awesome:

Juno


Iron Man


The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian


The Dark Knight


Wall-E



Awful:

Rambo


10,000 B.C.


The Happening


Wanted


The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor



A Let Down:

No Country For Old Men


Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull


Tropic Thunder


Max Payne


Quantum of Solace



So what were your picks of 2008?

Comments

MJenks said…
I'm glad that Indy made it to "Let Down" and not just "Awful". I had the same thoughts: it wasn't gut-wrenchingly terrible, but it also wasn't anything near what it should/could have been.
Unknown said…
Another contender for the let-down list is Twilight. If you have read the novel (and you are not a teenager!) then the movie was a disappointment to you!

Contender for the Awesome list is Hellboy 2. At least in my opinion!
Anonymous said…
I heard Slumdog Millioniare was supposed to be really good. I want to see it so bad. Maybe if you see it you will add it to your awesome list.
Anonymous said…
I concur with a lot of your list, although my final list is a bit different mainly coz I saw pretty different/random stuff compared to most people in SA, buts its an awesome list regardless. Yours I mean.
Pfangirl said…
Mjenks, yeah, Indy was definitely more a disappointment than awful, but sometimes the letdowns leave more of a sour taste in your mouth than a plain bad film. This is because the occasional bright moment just serves to highlight all the mediocrity and lost potential surrounding those precious minutes of awesomeness.

Jennifer I was toying with the inclusion of Hellboy 2, but there were one or two things that grated me about it (like the convenience of some character meetings) so it just couldn't crack that Top 5.

Veronika I've heard only good things about Slumdog. I'm definitely keen to see it when it's eventually released locally.

Nick I'm sure my list would be different from yours - I tend to watch the more commercial releases while your blog reviews suggest you see a lot more challenging arthouse fare. Thanks for the compliment though :)

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!