Movie Double-Up Weekend

Apart from trying to learn how to play as the Night Elves in Warcraft III this weekend (I’ve fallen in love with the bear-transforming Druids of the Talon), I got to see 2 movies.

On Friday evening, in an impromptu move, Paul and I went to see Ice Age 2.



Although the film basically follows the same storyline as The Land Before Time, and is ultimately forgettable, it’s still the best family entertainment in a while. The animation is stunning- especially the very expressive eyes- there’s a lot of adult humour and there’s more Scrat to keep audiences happy. I wasn’t too keen on the annoying, hyperactive possums (there no doubt to amuse children) but the ‘straight men’ of the film, Ray Romano’s Manny the mammoth, and Denis Leary’s Diego, a sabre tooth tiger with Hydrophobia, kept me happy. Queen Latifa also puts in some fine voice work as a species-confused mammoth.

The trailers before the movie included Eight Below. Up until that moment, I had expected Eight Below, starring Paul Walker, to be a family friendly Disney film about a dogsled race. Now it turns out to be a true story about 8 huskies left to fend for themselves in the middle of an Artic snowstorm when their owner, assisting an injured scientist, is forced to evacuate. It brought back memories of Homeward Bound, and I was sobbing while watching the trailer. After King Kong had me in tears, I’m definitely staying away from Eight Below. one of those gorgeous dogs must die.

On Sunday afternoon, Paul and I met up with Gareth and Denbeigh to see Underworld Evolution. What can I say about Underworld 2?

See Kate Beckinsale run. See Kate Beckinsale jump. See Kate Beckinsale in skin-tight latex. See Kate Beckinsale naked. See Kate Beckinsale in slow motion.



Underworld Evolution is exactly on par with the original Underworld. It’s more gory, there’s more nudity but it’s still the same action-packed, mentally challenged tale of vampires versus werewolves. Honestly, I would have been happier if they kept the film set in the Medieval timeframe that the film open with. Sword wielding and hand-to-hand combat is a lot more interesting that vampires and humans pumping thousands of rounds of bullets into their Lycan opponents with little effect.

In short, if you were swayed by the supposedly stylish Matrix ‘coolness’ of the first film, you may like the sequel. Otherwise it’s pretty mediocre, like the original.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Noelle, Have you given up on your Michelle Pfeiffer site??? no longer a fan?
Anonymous said…
dang, i cried watching eight below..
Pfangirl said…
Hey Anonymous, last year I did a whole new design of the Michelle Pfeiffer site. I just haven't had the time or energy to apply it. I think my ambitions with the site have been more than I can squeeze in with everything else I'm up to at the moment.

I'm looking forward to I Could Never Be your Woman, and even more to Neil Gaiman's Stardust. But I do admit my Pfeiffer passions are not as intense as they used to be.
Marty Batfreak said…
lol if you google 'kate beckinsale naked', guess whose blog you get first?.... how do i know this?....

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!