The Long Easter Weekend

I’m not going to bore anyone with a long detailed day-by- day account of the long weekend, so here’s the highlights package:

The Not so Last Supper of Holy Thursday

Met up with Ashley, Ian, G and Shirley at Mimmos Musgrave for dinner. G’s brother Nick was also there and he’s a very cool guy. The same can’t be said for G’s brother-in-law to be, Ashley, who is the loud-mouth, empty-headed salesman cliché (Ashley, and G’s sister Paula joined us halfway through dinner).

Paul and I ended up trapped at the far side of the table with Ashley. After dinner I just had to move to the other side of the table for some reviving intelligent conversation, and to speak to friends I hadn’t seen for ages.

After dinner, back at home, Paul got it into his head to play drinking card games… with shots of straight Southern Comfort. Although neither of us got drunk, after a while our throats refused to open for the vile liquid.

Southern Comfort- an alcohol to MIX with other drinks.

Retail Therapy Good Friday

I put my credit card to use for the first time on Friday at a pleasantly quiet Pavilion. In actual fact, I didn’t spend that much money as I had Christmas and points-back vouchers to use before they expired. Purchases ended up being a few new athletics tops for Jiu-Jitsu (to wear under my T-shirt or future ghi), a new pair of slops and the Sin City and Nightmare Before Christmas DVDs.

In the evening, I accomplished the impossible and actually got Paul to go to a flea market. Actually, we accompanied Paul’s cousin Micah to The Stables for a browse around the assorted second-hand bookstalls and to finally have a look at the wares of Kickass Comics. There are plenty of awesome figurines / action figures as well as posters and, of course, a full selection of the latest comics. Having stopped collecting individual comics, however, I ended up buying a trade paperback that collected the 4-part Huntress / Nightwing miniseries. Although her costume has changed now, I always assumed The Huntress was similar to my vigilante superheroine, both in terms of her original outfit and attitude.

Graphic novel



New outfit:



Lazy Saturday

Amazingly I was awake from 6:30am on a Long Weekend. The idea was to head down to Toti so that Ashley could finally take a new pic to accompany my GEAR column. With the pouring rain, we ended up only getting down to Ashley’s flat around 8:30. And promptly stayed there for the rest of the day.

Apart from the photo shoot, which did see us eventually getting to the beach, we finally got to see God of War. It’s is gloriously, stylishly violent- you can even rip opponents in half with your bare hands spraying blood everywhere. Looking at it, you could clearly see how influenced it was by the Prince of Persia series and vice versa.

Anyway, we also cunningly got Ashley to make us a very late breakfast while we vegged on the couch and watched Disney DVDs, as well as The Karate Kid III on eTV.

You can see one or two of the photo shoot pics on Ashley’s blog:

A Life Worth Living

Easter Sunday

Nothing says Easter like crucifying a friend. A group of us, including myself, Paul, Mark, Ian, G and Robin celebrated Easter with a braai and LAN games. The major discovery of the day was FEAR multiplayer- easily the most fun multiplayer game in ages- a solid, very gory replacement for Action Halflife.

Anyway, the crucifying part comes in with the fact that one of the weapons is a rifle that shoots out stakes, allowing you to pin opponents to the walls. More deadly however, was Mark with his unarmed attacks and sliding tackles. So often you would turn to find a fist flying at your face. Then blackness.

At a certain point the quest for amusing screenshots took over, and it was common to sneak up on someone staring at a corpse or bloody mess. Classic moments including Paul’s headless corpse draped over a railing and pouring blood into a puddle on the floor, and my brilliant rocket launcher attack that wiped out my entire team, me included.

Oh, and Paul’s grandmother upstairs tried to poison us with mothball-flavoured Lemon Creams…

Family Day Monday

Paul was working on Monday so I spent the day at home playing Call of Cthulhu, eating Easter chocolate (the uneaten bunny Paul gave me has been named Mr Bun, after Suzie Derkins’s stuffed toy in Calvin & Hobbes) and doing a little web design fiddling in Photoshop.

In the evening I headed down to Durban in the pouring rain for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. My next blog post will be all about my Jiu-Jitsu experience so far, but at Monday’s class Paul joined me for the first time, so I finally have a grappling partner who is an absolute beginner like me. In the class, we pretty much practiced what I had learnt last week, and also learnt a new submission technique, targeting the elbow. I'm really enjoying it- exercise with a purpose.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!