2005 into 2006

New Years this year was celebrated at Mark’s place where the party was a School dress-up theme (clearly a product of Mark’s nostalgia for the School Discos that are so popular in London clubs these days). Basically everyone had to don their school uniforms or at least one item of school clothing. Needless to say that there were a number of white shirt and tie combos, as well as a many short black skirts and blazers (which are an absolute bitch to wear in the muggy Durban summer).

G was definitely the evening’s dress-up stand out, coming in drag as ‘Melissa’ so that he and Shirley could pass as lesbian school girls. Meanwhile, Paul combined a blazer and school tie with nothing but a swimming cap and his speedo. The speedo was fortunately covered for most of the evening by baggies.











There ended up being quite a large number of people there; a combination of Mark’s friends, his sister Diane’s and his other sister Lauren’s. Even my school friend Hayley, and her husband Greg were there, although I don’t know how much they enjoyed themselves because they’re quiet types and only really knew me and Paul particularly well. They vanished off home soon after midnight and the fireworks displays over the valley in front of Mark’s house.

It was a very enjoyable evening, combining Cane-and-champagne strong punch with balloon volleyball in the pool, and lot of chatting. Jackie, a varsity friend of Paul and Gareth’s pitched up an hour or so before midnight and she’s such a bubbly person it’s great catching up on all her gossip.

I suppose my only negative of the evening came around midnight. Paul had been drinking the punch all evening and had suddenly started to mix his drinks, downing at least 3 Spiced Golds and Coke (with Spiced Gold being the dominant ingredient). Paul gets extremely childish when he’s drunk, and as 2006 kicked off he was an out of control toddler, spraying people with champagne, dropping bottles and stumbling over his own feet. He made a scene of himself.

Gareth commented that I was ‘aloof’ while everyone was hugging and wishing each other a happy new year. I wasn’t so much aloof as extremely annoyed. Here were all the couples celebrating with an embrace and kiss, and my partner was lumbering around streaked with champagne and streamers.

Paul’s euphoria didn’t last, of course. By 12:30 he was bent over the sundeck railing breathing heavily as he tried to suppress the vomit. I gave him his space to concentrate on controlling the heaves. Everyone did. At one point, around 2:30, I got his mattress ready for him but the room was spinning too much for him to lie down. Pasty white, he ended up outside till something like 5:30, alternating between sleep and nausea. He’s having a nap as I type this. I at least had something like 6 and a half to 7 hours sleep, so I’m functional.

Anyway, I did receive an apology on Sunday morning, and I do think Paul has learnt his lesson temporarily, even though he has large blank spots in his memory of the second half of the evening. I really think there is nothing worse than making a complete ass of yourself drunk while pretty much everyone around you is sober, or at least compos mentis.

Anyway, New Year’s is not an important holiday to me. Two years ago I even spent it at home watching TV with a bucket alongside me, a day after having my Wisdom teeth out. I don’t even make resolutions.

If, however, I look back over 2005, it has been a crazy year. There have been ups and downs for everyone I know: relationship drama and happiness; career shifts and new opportunities; crime and accidents; the losing, gaining (and regaining) of friends and family; and uncertainties about the future.

I started keeping this blog in the second half of this year to keep an accurate and honest account of my feelings in the midst of the chaos. I know I have been lucky so many times in the past. My major hope for this year is career-orienated: I’m back to the workplace this year so careerwise, I hope things fall into place (and, more importantly, solidify) for me, and that I find a direction that will inspire and guide me no matter what. I think it is largely as a result of uncertainties around my future, but I’d also like to overcome the anxiety that so often made me feel frustrated, miserable and very moody this year.

I have a number of friends around the world, some I see or am in contact with more often than others. To all of these friends I wish a happy, productive 2006, where you can shrug off any sadness and discontent, and be rewarded for your efforts, in whatever area you pursue. Let’s be realistic and hope that at least one or two of your dreams come true this year.

The following is specifically directed at people who I know read this blog. If I’ve left you out, it’s because I don’t know / have forgotten that you’re a silent lurker.

To Ash, may your excellent photography bring you enough income to eventually liberate you from Evil Corp.

To Ian, simply to come home as soon as possible to all the friends who miss you and wish the best for you.

To Shirley, may your dogs start behaving themselves and stop draining your bank account.

To Gareth, continued happiness and less frustrated cynicism as a result of relationship bliss.

To G, to be inspired and to have your creativity recognised by the right people.

To Mark, more partying, and minimal to no sports injuries as you pursue victory on the rugby field.

To Stacey and Wez, hope you have a fantastic, low-stress wedding, and, more importantly, enjoy everything that comes after that one single day.

To Kimberly Richard, may you find that exhilarating hobby, and girlfriend, you’ve been looking for.

To Bronwyn, good luck with all that overseas high flying with Shell.

To Nick, may you get to enjoy the peace of mind of life of New Zealand and take advantage of the country’s various extreme activities.

To Firebird Paul, to continue emailing me your tomes in response to my blog posts.

To everyone, Health, wealth and happiness!

Comments

Gareth said…
My cynicism doesn't come from frustration lassie. I'm still just as cynical. I'm just making an effort to tone down the sharp edge to my tongue. You're all getting the spin-off benefits of me making an effort to be a better, more considerate person for my lady.


And you're always aloof, circumstances aside. Never been the "huggy" type. Nor was Paul overly boorish, as far as I could see. Just a bit more playful/silly. Guess what, thats not that bad a thing. We left him alone not because he was annoying, but because he needed air. As a side note, he seemed to have a damn lot more fun than you did, "compos mentis" (or whatever pretentious nonsense you want to phrase "sobriety" as) aside. Whats the big deal, you've already flashed everybody, I doubt you would do anything more embarrassing while drunk :P.
Unknown said…
Thanks Noelle. This is going to be a great year for all of us. It's a new year and a new beginning in all of our lives.

*hugs*
Dante said…
Wow i got mentioned. Awesome. Happy new year Noelle. May it be great. Awesome even. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!