Sunburn and the Summoned Undead

The 2nd of January was a really beautiful day in Durban- sunny, not too humid, with a light breeze. Paul and I headed down to Brighton Beach early in the morning to snorkel around in the rock pools revealed at low tide. There were plenty of zebrafish, some angelfish, hermit crabs, and even a large crayfish hiding deep under an overhang.

I did however succeed in slicing open the side of my wrist, when the rock I was holding myself up with over a deep pool, crumbled in my hands, and I grated my palm down the sharp surface. More painful though was the revelation, when we got home, that my back was badly sunburnt. I put suntan lotion everywhere but my back (it had been overcast and in the water I didn’t feel the burning at all). Right now my back is that beautiful shade of crispy bacon meets Eskort polony pink.

I also made the mistake in the evening of accepting Paul’s suggestion that in order for me to improve at Warcraft III, I need to play against non-computer opponents, namely him. Now it’s not that Paul gloats when he is victorious, but I am very, very competitive. To play multiple games where my carefully crafted human force is crushed into the ground as skeletons and puddles of blood time after time is very, very frustrating, and upsetting. I’m not saying I didn’t learn anything (my tendency to play defensively is a waste of time with all RTS games by the look of things), but I was in a foul mood by the end of the evening; very despondent. Really, if this was the Star Wars universe, my competitiveness would be a one-way ticket to the Dark Side.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!