And the Award for Worst Emailer of the Year Goes To…

Me, of course. I used to be excellent when it came to keeping up with my friends worldwide via email. Now, I’m slack.

Don’t get me wrong. I check my email regularly, and if you send something to me, chances are I will read it within 3 days, at most. I’m also making full use of blogs now to keep up to date with people’s lives. Even if I don’t read them entirely online I’ll save them to browse offline (Ian’s unique fascinating blog for example, requires time and attention I don’t have when I’m online counting the rands being added to the phone bill)

So there’s Firebird Paul, Leyla and Lindy in the UK, Ian in Burundi, Yelena in the States, Bonnie in Taiwan, Andrew (presumably) still in Pietermaritzburg, Nick and Wez in New Zealand, and the magical disappearing marrieds, Hayley and Greg in Secunda, Karen and Andrew M in the UK, and Bronwyn and John floating around Durbs.

Anyway, I’ve decided to give my blog’s address to my friends. That way the burden of keeping everyone up to date is off my shoulders. While I’ll be regularly contributing to this blog, it’s really up to them whether they read it or not.

Moving on…

Since I launched my portfolio site last year, I’ve been using the marvellous free Statcounter.com to track my site’s visitors. Earlier this week I added the HTML stat tracking code to this blog. Wow. For the one or two comments you receive, there actually are a helluva lot more people looking at your brain farts that you think – and they are people from around the world.

Anyway, in terms of my current activities I’m doing the usual university reading (out in the garden when its sunny, or under my blanket when its miserable), and pretty soon I’ll have to start work on my big Media research project, as well as assorted other essays and assignments.

As of next Monday I’m going to have around 35 First Year English essays to mark. I’ve lectured the class on how to reference, and structure bibliographies, and as it is probably the most important skill when it comes to your tertiary education, I’m going to be pretty strict when it comes to the style of their essays.

Otherwise there’s some freelance website work in the pipeline. Alison’s latest squeeze is looking at redoing his site, so this weekend, Paul, his business partner (and fellow developer) Robin, myself and G are going to be working out a detailed proposal. There’s a lot of money at stake here. Our major hope is that Shaun doesn’t want the site revamping ASAP, because we’re all still studying and won’t be able to devout our full attention to it until about mid November. If he wants it done immediately he’s more likely going to go with a web company in Cape Town who are charging him an obscene amount of money to get it done.

On top of this, and far more manageable, is that Lara wants her website redoing. Apart from the function of copywriter and quality checker that I picked up in my time at Evil Corp, I’ve decided to add ‘Website Content Strategist’ (or something similarly important sounding) to my job description- essentially (as I so often did at Evil Corp) I propose ways that the client can maximise the effectiveness of their impression online, and stand out from their competition.

Then there are two other web projects I’ll be involved in in the near future. One is small but a pleasant change. The other is massive, but still hush hush.

Anyhow, I’ve babbled enough. Noelle out…

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello...
Thanx 4 mentioning me and Nick, way down in da South Pacific! What's dis blogg stuff? Looks interesting, maybe I'll give it a go.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!