My Tomb Raider fiction: for you, for free, in multiple formats and refreshingly free of train rides

Fan fiction is the red-haired stepchild of fans' creative expression.

Unlike its siblings, fan art, FMVs (fan made videos) and cosplay, fan fiction is frequently dismissed with a snigger by the public. Meanwhile, the original creator of that particular fictional universe may silently tolerate the stories at best, or loudly revile them at worst. Either way, even if the creator is curious, plagiarism concerns mean they are unable to read fan-generated content.

However, I'm getting sidetracked.

The point is that fan fiction has a poor reputation. (Thanks, especially, EL James!).  And, yes, there is a lot of tripe out there. However, the same can be said of original published novels if we're being honest.

The truth is that if you can get past the ridicule - and avoid infection by its sneering scepticism - you will find some very well-written fan fic out there. It's apparent that talented people have been inspired, and put effort into creating non-canonical stories despite the contempt; despite the fact they know they can never make any money from the hours and hours they have pumped into this creative pursuit.

So, no, I refused to feel ashamed about my labour of love for the past 18 months. I will always count a piece of Tomb Raider fan fiction as my first completed novel. And I will do so proudly.

Source: AlexCroft25

"I'm finished!"

I'm sure there are critics who will insist I've been foolish. They'll say I should have devoted all that time to developing my own original work instead of investing so much energy into a "pointless" cause that pulled me away from my blog and webcomic, among other things.

As far as I'm concerned though, this whole experience has had value. Chiefly, I've proved myself as a long-form writer - particularly to myself - and hopefully connected with some readers who will return for my own work because they like my style. These are fantastic, confidence-building results. Especially since, at the ripe age of 33, I've decided that writing fiction is what I really want to do. Nothing fulfils me like it does. "Follow your bliss" and all that...


While I figure out how to make that work full-time exactly, here are my fics - available in multiple formats for your e-reader of choice.

Plus, don't forget you can always read these stories online at Fanfiction.net here - along with a few other shorter, standalone tales.

Enjoy! And if you have a moment, please let me know what you think via blog comment below, on Twitter, or post a review here.

Can't Go Home
Set in the weeks following the events on Yamatai, Sam is deeply worried about her changed best friend. Consumed by her new quest for answers, Lara is pulling away from the world and Sam is desperate not to lose her saviour.
(27 000 words)

MOBI format
EPUB format
PDF

Easier To Run
Set five years after the events on Yamatai, Lara Croft is now a highly sought-after archaeologist, known for her devil-may-care attitude. But it's all a facade. For all the satisfaction her work provides, secretly Lara is miserable. She has spent half a decade running from her pain... until one day fate brings her face to face with it source once more. A sequel to Can't Go Home.
(124 000 words)

MOBI format
EPUB format
PDF

Comments

Anonymous said…
I agree 100%. Had the same experience of writing fanfic. The other aspect is that people are more likely to read your stuff and give you feedback if you're talking about characters they already know and like. For me it's the best way to practice, to learn and to grow as a writer. The experience of writing and posting my first fanfic was a massive confidence boost for me because I'd always been scared to show people my writing before. Once I started posting anonymously and got good feedback it got me over that hump.
Unknown said…
I read a few fanfics of TR, yours are the BEST, I like the way how you express Lara's inner feelings and emotions, the story itself is intense and there are some twists and moments (especially the ending of "easier to run") are just so unpredictable yet so great (but sad at the same time)! Although I noticed that you put Lara/Sam knew each other for 4 years... I thought they were together since boarding school?

And thank you for the PDF file! Definitely need that for collection!

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!