Most Quotable Movies: Forrest Gump

Some fun for Friday…

I actually completely forgot about this one, which is strange because even in our office it’s one of those rare movies which everyone can quote back and forth.

I know a lot of film fanatics will always be prejudiced against Forrest Gump, given how this unashamed, often quite corny crowd pleaser trumped the ultra-hip Pulp Fiction at the Academy Awards that year. However, 14 years have passed since Forrest Gump’s release and time has mellowed people’s reactions to some of the Diabetes-inducing, greeting card-style quotes the movie spawned. You no longer automatically vomit a little bit when someone begins, “Life is like a box of chocolates…”


Please bear in mind that to maximise enjoyment of these quotes you need to adopt Tom Hanks’ Southern sing-song idiot accent from the movie.

-------------------

Forrest Gump: My momma always said, "Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

-------------------

Forrest Gump: Stupid is as stupid does.

-------------------

Forrest Gump: That's all I have to say about that.

-------------------

Bubba: Have you ever been on a real shrimp boat?
Forrest Gump: No, but I've been on a real big boat.

-------------------

Forrest Gump: Now you wouldn't believe me if I told you, but I could run like the wind blows. From that day on, if I was ever going somewhere, I was running!

-------------------

Fat Man at Bench: It was a bullet, wasn't it?
Forrest Gump: A bullet?
Fat Man at Bench: That jumped up and bit you.
Forrest Gump: Oh, yes sir. Bit me right in the buttocks. They said it was a million dollar wound, but the army must keep that money 'cause I still haven't seen a nickel of that million dollars.

-------------------

Forrest Gump: I'm sorry I had to fight in the middle of your Black Panther party.

-------------------

Forrest Gump: Hello. My name's Forrest, Forrest Gump.


-------------------

Forrest Gump: I'm sorry I ruined your New Year's Eve party, Lieutenant Dan. She tasted like cigarettes.

-------------------

Lieutenant Daniel Taylor: Where are you boys from in the world?
Forrest Gump, Bubba: Alabama, sir!
Lieutenant Daniel Taylor: You twins?
Forrest Gump: No, we are not relations, sir.

-------------------

Forrest Gump: Hello. I'm Forrest, Forrest Gump.
Recruit Officer: Nobody gives a hunky shit who you are, pus ball. You're not even a low-life, scum-sucking maggot. Get your ass on the bus, you're in the army now!

-------------------

John F. Kennedy: Congratulations, how do you feel?
Forrest Gump: I gotta pee

-------------------

Lyndon B. Johnson: [Putting medal on Forrest] America owes you a debt of gratitude, son. Now I understand you were wounded. Where were you hit?
Forrest Gump: In the buttocks.

-------------------

Abbie Hoffman: Tell us a little bit about the war, man.
Forrest Gump: The war in Vietnam?
Abbie Hoffman: [to audience] War in Viet-Fucking-Nam!

-------------------

Forrest Gump: We was always taking long walks, and we was always looking for a guy named "Charlie".

-------------------

Recruit Officer: Have you given any thought to your future, son?
Forrest Gump: "Thought"?

-------------------

Lieutenant Daniel Taylor: Where the Hell is this God of yours?
Forrest Gump: [narrating] It's funny Lieutenant Dan said that, 'cause right then, God showed up.

-------------------

[Forrest Gump referring to Apple Computer]
Forrest Gump: Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, that's good! One less thing.

-------------------

Bumper Sticker Guy: [running after Forrest] Hey man! Hey listen, I was wondering if you might help me. 'Cause I'm in the bumper sticker business and I've been trying to think of a good slogan, and since you've been such a big inspiration to the people around here I thought you might be able to help me jump into - WOAH! Man, you just ran through a big pile of dog shit!
Forrest Gump: It happens.
Bumper Sticker guy: What, shit?
Forrest Gump: Sometimes.

-------------------

Forrest Gump: [running] I had run for 3 years, 2 months, 14 days, and 16 hours.
[he stops and turns around]
Young Man Running: Quiet, quiet! He's gonna say something!
Forrest Gump: [pause] I'm pretty tired... I think I'll go home now.

-------------------

Old man in barbershop: That boy sure is a runnin' fool!


-------------------

Forrest: (voice-over) That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road, and when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run across Greenbow County. And I figured since I run this far, maybe I'd just run across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did I ran clear across Alabama. For no particular reason, I just kept on going. I ran clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured since I've gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going. When I got tired, I slept. When I got hungry, I ate. When I had to go, you know, I went.

-------------------

Jenny Curran: Run, Forrest! Run!

-------------------

Jenny Curran: Why are you so good to me?
Forrest Gump: You're my girl!
Jenny Curran: [pause] I'll always be your girl.

-------------------

Bubba: Hey Forrest
Forrest Gump: Hey Bubba


-------------------

Forrest Gump: Me and Jenny goes together like peas and carrots.

-------------------

Lieutenant Daniel Taylor: Have you found Jesus yet, Gump?
Forrest Gump: I didn't know I was supposed to be looking for him, sir.

-------------------

Forrest Gump: Mama says they was magic shoes. They could take me anywhere.

-------------------

Forrest Gump: I gotta find Bubba!

-------------------

Forrest Gump: He should not be hitting you, Jenny.

-------------------

Drill Sergeant: Gump! What's your sole purpose in this army?
Forrest Gump: To do whatever you tell me, drill sergeant!
Drill Sergeant: God damn it, Gump! You're a god damn genius! This is the most outstanding answer I have ever heard. You must have a goddamn I.Q. of 160. You are goddamn gifted, Private Gump.

-------------------

Forrest Gump: One day it started raining, and it didn't quit for four months. We been through every kind of rain there is. Little bitty stingin' rain... and big ol' fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways. And sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath.

-------------------

Forrest: Momma always says there's an awful lot you could tell about a person by their shoes. Where they're going. Where they've been. I've worn lots of shoes.


-------------------

Forrest: (voice-over) Now, when I was a baby, Momma named me after the great Civil War hero, General Nathan Bedford Forrest... She said we was related to him in some way. And, what he did was, he started up this club called the Ku Klux Klan. They'd all dress up in their robes and their bedsheets and act like a bunch of ghosts or spooks or something. They'd even put bedsheets on their horses and ride around. And anyway, that's how I got my name. Forrest Gump. Momma said that the Forrest part was to remind me that sometimes we all do things that, well, just don't make no sense.

-------------------

Football Coach: Who in the hell is that?
High School Coach: That there is Forrest Gump. Coach. Just a local idiot.
Football Coach: He must be the stupidest son-of-a-bitch alive. But he sure is fast!

-------------------

Forrest: (voice-over) So Bubba was from Bayou La Batre, Alabama, and his momma cooked shrimp. And her momma before her cooked shrimp. And her momma before her momma cooked shrimp, too. Bubba's family knew everything there was to know about the shrimpin' business.
Bubba: I know everything there is to know about the shrimpin' business.

-------------------

Jenny: Listen, you promise me something, okay? Just if you're ever in trouble, don't try to be brave, you just run, okay? Just run away.



-------------------

Jenny: Why're you so good to me?
Forrest: You're my girl.
Jenny: I'll always be your girl.

-------------------

Forrest: Lieutenant Dan, what are you doing here?
Lt. Dan: Well, I thought I'd try out my sea legs.
Forrest: Well, you ain't got no legs, Lieutenant Dan.

-------------------

Forrest: I just felt like running.

-------------------

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!