Bits 'n' pieces

Not much news happening in entertainment land at the moment...

There's FINALLY a release date in South Africa for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie: 5 October 2007!

And speaking of 1980s cartoons receiving a 21st Century revamp, brace yourself for GI Joe. According to Aint It Cool News and SuperheroHype, The Mummy and Van Helsing director Stephen Sommers will be in the director's chair.



So, with Sommers directing, what can we look forward to? I'm expecting non-stop action, cheesy acting and plenty of CGI wizardry. But considering how damn lame the above cartoon GI Joe intro looks (I used to watch the show but honestly can't remember it now), well, Sommers is probably the perfect director for the job.

Personally, if I was making the film, I'd pump up the macho posturing, fist pumping and patriotic flag waving to Team America's tongue-in-cheek proportions. "Yo Joe!"

Otherwise, in an unrelated note, my most recent Take 2 order finally arrived yesterday. It included some DVDs for my sister, and Paul's anniversary gift: Volume 1 and Volume 4 of the Collected Penny Arcade comic series, in print form. Why Volumes 1 and 4? Well, because it was our 4 year anniversary last Friday.

For myself, I ordered a copy of Civ City: Rome. I'm not much of a management game player, but I liked the Ancient City setting of this one, it received good reviews and it had a budget price. Plus, it should make a nice change of pace from World of WarCraft's quests and combat.


I also bought the (finally) available Volume 2 of Royce Gracie's Ultimate Fighting Techniques, sub-titled Fighting from the Bottom. I just had a skim through it last night, and it's incredibly impressive. I've become something of a collector of the Invisible Cities Press Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu series - I now have 5 - and this is the first one I've bought that includes a number of escapes (from guard and mount), all chronicled in detail. It's about bloody time!

Plus , there are a number of tips to help the practitioner improve certain staple techniques. I can already see that this attention to detail will help improve my technique once I sit down and study it properly.

Comments

slideyfoot said…
Yeah, I've been looking for a well-regarded book and/or DVD series purely on escapes, but not found an obvious one yet. My main focus since moving up to the advanced class (and therefore getting my arse kicked even more thoroughly) has been on escapes, seeing as I'm normally stuck under mount or side control anyway. So, would be good to have some supplemental material, in addition to the advice I get from my instructor and people I roll with.

For the moment, will be going through my xmas presents: The Guard and to a much lesser extent (just the basic bits, like the start of the half-guard chapter) Mastering the Rubber Guard.

Popular posts from this blog

Is the rebooted Lara Croft gay? Evidence for and against...

Weekend report-back: beach, board games and books

Movies today, SA!